Linux Live CD with VPN Support
AlsOilService
2005-03-02 19:58:46 UTC
I am looking for a linux live cd that has support for Microsoft VPN.
Employees on call need to access software on a SCO system running on a
Windows network, behind a Firewall. Original plan was to set up their
home windows pcs to connect to the VPN and run terminal software to
connect to the SCO box, but I have spent numerous hours troubleshooting
the home pcs that are full of spyware, etc. Have played with Knoppix
and repaired some Windows systems with it, and I love it. What I am
looking for is a Linux Live CD that I can give to the employees, they
reboot their home system with it, connect to the VPN, connect to the
SCO box, and do their work. I have already done some googling, but
still need help. If anyone could point me to a live CD that would do
this or point me to a tutorial about customizing a live cd to do this I
would appreciate it.
myownminerva
2005-03-03 14:51:02 UTC
why cant they just use knoppix 3.7 too?
Joerg Morbitzer
2005-03-04 07:24:37 UTC
Post by AlsOilService
I am looking for a linux live cd that has support for Microsoft VPN.
Employees on call need to access software on a SCO system running on a
Windows network, behind a Firewall. Original plan was to set up their
home windows pcs to connect to the VPN and run terminal software to
connect to the SCO box, but I have spent numerous hours troubleshooting
the home pcs that are full of spyware, etc. Have played with Knoppix
and repaired some Windows systems with it, and I love it. What I am
looking for is a Linux Live CD that I can give to the employees, they
reboot their home system with it, connect to the VPN, connect to the
SCO box, and do their work. I have already done some googling, but
still need help. If anyone could point me to a live CD that would do
this or point me to a tutorial about customizing a live cd to do this I
would appreciate it.
What about remastering the Knoppix CD and change it to your own needs?
Have a look here:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

Regards, Jörg.
Bill Davidsen
2005-03-22 21:41:08 UTC
Post by Joerg Morbitzer
Post by AlsOilService
[...]
You might also take a look at Astaro Security Linux, I believe that may
have what you need. Haven't used it in a while, but friends do.
--
-bill davidsen (***@tmr.com)
c***@koenning.org
2005-03-11 13:18:40 UTC
Post by AlsOilService
I am looking for a linux live cd that has support for Microsoft VPN.
Which protocol do you want to use?
I guess IPSEC/L2tp, cause pptp is not recommended
see (http://www.schneier.com/pptp.html)
You should remaster Knoppix with a 2.6.X Kernel and use the KAME IPSEC
implementation of it. As IKE Deamon, you can use pluto from openswan,
NAT-T works with it. And you need also l2tpd to connect.
see http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/index.html.

With kind regards,
Christian Koenning